Changing your address with USPS

There can be a need for you to change your address with the US Postal Service. Unfortunately, some people do not know the procedure of doing this. The following is a quick guide on how to change your address with USPS or through a service such asĀ

First, you are required to fill out a change of address form. You can do this at a local post office or online, or mail the downloaded form to a local post office. The online option is the easiest; you need to use a debit or credit card. For verification purpose, your card will be charged one dollar verification fee that is non-refundable. This fee protects you from fraud as explained by postal service. The USPS confirms that the information on the debit or credit card is same to the one provided in the address. Similar information ascertains that you are a genuine person who seeks to change the address and not a thief.

You will be required to provide information on whether the change is temporary or permanent as well as when they should start forwarding the mails to the new address. For USPS to start forwarding mails to your new address, you need to fill out the form seven to ten days advance. After changing the address, the first mail should be forwarded in less than three months.

You will indicate whether the changing of the address is on behalf of a business, family or an individual. Complete address change process for every name in case you receive a mail under several names. Family members with similar last name will fill out one form.

Go Beyond Postal Service

You should notify those who have issued you with documents like credit cards banks and your service providers about the address change. You need to tell your service providers where you are since the mail forwarding is only done for a year. This ensures that they can track and reach you in case a need arises. Maintaining up to date physical address is crucial because you will periodically receive important account information and updates from Credit Card Company. Service providers and creditors have different rules about the time you should inform them of the change of address. You still need to notify your credit card company and the bank about your change of address even if you are an online banking user and do not receive financial statements in your mail.

You can receive mails at your current address using three options that are provided by USPS; they include: Filling out address change form, this enables the first class mails sent to your initial address to be forwarded to the current one. This is only valid for a year. Thereafter, mails sent to the old address will be returned to those who sent them.

There is a premium forwarding service that you will sign up and temporarily receive mails forwarded to you. The enrollment fee is fifteen dollars and additional seventeen dollars for each week you receive a forwarded mail.

In case you relocate to a new town and lack a permanent address, General-Delivery-Service is suitable for you.